Randwick is a suburb in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia. Randwick is located 6 kilometres south-east of the Sydney central business district and is the administrative centre for the local government area of the City of Randwick. Randwick is part of the Eastern Suburbs region. The postcode is 2031.
Sport and recreation
Images for kids
St Jude's Church, Avoca Street
Randwick was named after the village of Randwick, Gloucestershire, England, birthplace of Simeon Henry Pearce, who became Mayor of Randwick no less than six times. Simeon and his brother James, who migrated to Australia in 1842, were responsible for the early development of Randwick as well as suburb Coogee.. Simeon lived in a house called Blenheim, which can still be seen in Blenheim Street. It was neglected for some time but was eventually acquired by Randwick Council and then restored.
Proclaimed as a Municipality in February 1859, as a City in 1990 Randwick has a rich history and great natural beauty including a number of fine, heritage buildings. Another Mayor of Randwick, George Kiss, built the house known as Ventnor in the 1870s. A two-storey sandstone house, Ventnor is situated on Avoca Street, overlooking Coogee. It is now owned by the nearby Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Church (built 1888). Other buildings of note include the St Jude's Church group, also on Avoca Street. Originally designed by Edmund Blacket, (who also designed St. Andrew's Cathedral, Sydney and the University of Sydney), the church was completed in 1865. It was modified by H.M. Robinson in 1889. The rectory next door was built in 1870. The Verger's Residence, designed by Thomas Rowe and completed in 1862, was the original Randwick Burough Chambers. This distinctive building, with its Gothic touches, was followed by the present Randwick Town Hall, which was built in 1886. The church group and Ventnor are listed on the Register of the National Estate.
Further down Avoca Street is the sandstone building originally known as the Star and Garter Inn, built in the 1830s. It was the home of Captain J. Watson, who was responsible for the memorial to Captain James Cook, which still stands at front of the building. One of the dominant features of the area is the Prince of Wales Hospital, which started life as a home for destitute children. It was financed by the legacy of Dr. Cuthill, who now has Cuthill Street named after him. In 1915 the home became a military hospital and continued to grow as a medical facility.
Other noteworthy buildings include private homes like Ilfracombe, Clovelly and Torquay, in Avoca Street, and Venice, in Frenchmans Road. The latter was built 1884-84 on part of St Mark's Glebe. The land had been leased in 1880 for 99 years to S.Holmes and J.Parsons. The house features Tudor and Gothic elements and has stained glass windows. It has been described as a "comparatively rare and distinctive example of late Victorian Gothic architecture retaining most of its detailing intact." It has a New South Wales heritage listing.
Superintendent's Cottage, Prince of Wales Hospital
Another notable home was Sandgate, located in Belmore Road. This sandstone house was built circa 1870 on land granted to Simeon Pierce in 1853. It was bought by the Federal Government in the 1920s; it was then used as a Red Cross facility for First World War veterans. It was saved from demolition in 1978 and restored by Randwick Council.
The last Gothic mansion left in Randwick is Nugal Hall, located in Milford Street. It was designed by Mortimer Lewis and the southern portion of the house was built in 1853 for Alexander McArthur, a shipping merchant. The house features a staircase with glass dome above; the staircase was built of Mauritius mahogany and cedar. The coach house building at the front was originally a lodge for horse-drawn vehicles. The northern portion of the house was completed by Dr Fred Tidswell who owned the Coogee Bay Hotel. The architect of the northern portion is thought to have been Mortimer Lewis's son, Oswald. The Tidswell family owned the house from c. 1880 – 1903. Frederick Squire Tidswell (1831–1898) and his wife Mary Ann (1836–1912) had nine children including the microbiologist Dr Frank Tidswell (1867–1941) and architect Thomas Tidswell (1870–1950).
The following items are on the Register of the National Estate (unless stated otherwise): There are also two other levels of heritage listing: the State Heritage Register and the heritage schedule of Randwick Council's Local Environment Plan. The latter list includes something like four hundred items.
Randwick Lodge, Avoca Street
Tayar, The Avenue
Essex, Cuthill Street
House, 11 Cuthill Street
Avonmore Terrace, The Avenue
St Jude's Church and Rectory, Avoca Street
Original Randwick Borough Chambers, Avoca Street
Newmarket House and The Big Stable, Barker and Young Streets
The Park, Avoca and Cuthill Streets
Prince of Wales Hospital Group, Avoca and High Streets
Randwick Lodge (1898), Avoca Street (originally Corona and Hygeia, built by Elizabeth Callaghan)
Captain James Cook Statue, corner Belmore Road and Avoca Street
Hannan's Butcher Shop (former Star and Garter Inn), Belmore Road
Goldring House and Attached Residence, Avoca Street and Meares Avenue
Busby Bore (Tunnel from Lachlan Swamp to Hyde Park, City)
Shaldon, Darley Road, has a state heritage listing
Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Church, Avoca Street, has a state heritage listing
Tayar, The Avenue, has a state heritage listing
Clovelly, Avoca Street, (circa 1906), has a state heritage listing
Ilfracrombe, Avoca Street, (circa 1906), has a state heritage listing
Torquay, Avoca Street, (circa 1906), has a state heritage listing
Venice, Frenchmans Road, has a state heritage listing
Hooper Cottage (1847), Gilderthorpe Avenue, has a state heritage listing
Rathven (1887), St Marks Road, has a state heritage listing
Swan Isle, Darley Road, has a state heritage listing
Gordon Terrace, Gordon Street, has a state heritage listing
Former Catholic novitiate, chapel and Aston Lodge, cnr Stanley and Avoca Streets, have a state heritage listing
Peckham, Cowper Street
Sport and recreation
Randwick Racecourse on Derby Day
Ted Noffs Foundation Headquarters, Easts House
Just 6 kilometres east of Sydney’s CBD, the City of Randwick, also known as the ‘Sports Coast’ is home to some 29 km of coastline, 10 beaches and bays and many major recreation facilities. Randwick City is one of the most visited tourist areas outside central Sydney, attracting some 13 million visits each year. The City is home to the Coastal Walkway, Randwick Racecourse, Coogee and Maroubra Beaches, Botany Bay National Park, Centennial Parklands (which includes Queens Park and Moore Park), several top class golf courses and major institutions including the University of New South Wales and the Prince of Wales Hospitals.
A number of well-known sporting teams represent the local area. Since 1908, Randwick has been represented in the National Rugby League by the Sydney Roosters, formally the Eastern Suburbs District Rugby League Football Club. The local Randwick DRUFC rugby union team, nicknamed the 'Galloping Greens', is based at Coogee Oval. Local derby contests between these two neighbouring teams are always fiercely contested. Junior rugby league teams include the Clovelly Crocodiles, the Coogee Dolphins and Coogee Randwick Wombats. The local cricket team Randwick Petersham Cricket Club plays in the Sydney Grade Cricket domestic competition.
The former Randwick Post Office building in the centre of Randwick Junction (corner of Alison Road and Avoca Street) is known as Easts House. The building is owned by the Sydney Roosters (Eastern Suburbs Rugby League Club), which has donated the building for use by the Ted Noffs Foundation, for the purpose of providing assistance to troubled youth in the district. There are numerous community or corner parks like Alison Park, Randwick Peace Park, Frank Doyle Park, Fred Hollows Reserve and Writtle Park in the locality of Randwick.
Randwick is currently only served by buses. The main bus corridor is Belmore Rd with buses to Bondi Junction, Burwood, Campsie, Coogee, Eastgardens, Maroubra, Sydney Airport and Sydney CBD.
On 13 December 2012, the NSW Government announced a commitment to build the CBD and South East Light Rail from Circular Quay down George Street to Central Station, then across to Moore Park and down Anzac Parade. South of Moore Park the line will spit into two branches - one of which will head to Randwick via Alison Road. A bus/tram interchange will be established in Randwick and many of the bus routes that currently traverse Anzac Parade to access the city would be replaced by feeder routes connecting to the light rail. Construction commenced in 2015.